For millennials and Generation Z, Instagram is the preferred photo-sharing website. According to sources, the program celebrated its 11th anniversary on October 6 and had more than 1.074 billion users globally as of 2021.
Instead of merely being a photo-sharing app, it has evolved to allow users to explore online stores, connect with like-minded individuals, book services, and get inspired by their favorite influencers.
However, it has risks of its own that one must be aware of and take action against as needed. Kaspersky has offered several important tips to keep your account and personal information safe, including:
Best Tips to keep The Instagram Account Safe in 2022
- Privacy level – One need to pay attention to account privacy as it helps keep cybercriminals at bay. Good option is to make your account private so that your posts are only visible to approved followers.
- Check, control and clean up online footprint – Remove information about payment methods from your account and remove your phone number to prevent strangers from contacting you.
- Secure personal data – Remove synchronized contacts as Instagram uses them to suggest you follow accounts of or show targeted ads.
- Block third-party apps – This will help in having control over who accesses your profile information, images, and videos you have posted, and subscriber lists. You will also eliminate unauthorized activity and reduce the risk of data leakage.
- Don’t use the same password again and again: Use a unique password for your Instagram account and other sites; avoid using the same password for everything. To remember just one master password, you can utilise a password manager.
- Trust but verify – People whose accounts have been compromised in a variety of ways, such as friends, coworkers, or online gaming partners, may send you malicious links. So, before clicking on the link your friend sent you, remember to check it.
- Be careful about posting — The last and most important point of the topic tips to keep Instagram account safe in 2022 Be extremely cautious while posting any scans or images, especially when it comes to identification, travel, and payment receipts. Additionally, it’s a good idea to keep your travel plans a secret from others. If someone knew when you were gone from home, they might rob you or steal your important information, like your banking credentials.